Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's Greek to me!

In preparation for the trip we're all trying to learn the basics in Greek. Mini Mama and I are trying to learn as much as possible. Here is the list of words that I'm trying to learn.

Mini Mama found some great sites where you can here the words spoken:

Site One

Site Two

I have several great language books but because Greek uses the Greek letters it's difficult to know how to pronounce things. Each book uses different letter combinations for different sounds. For instance one book show 'dhen xero' while another shows 'THen ksero' to represent 'I don't know'. So having sites like those above is really helpful.

Chris and I also invested in a 'Teach Yourself...' set for the Greek language which comes with a book and a CD that has dialogs you can listen to so that has been very helpful.

I created some flashcards that we can all use on the 12 hour flight from JFK to Athens. I even color coded them so that Mary, Chris and Dad can focus on the blue necessities and then learn the green nice-to-knows if they want. :)

It's only two weeks away and I'm getting excited!

No comments: